The CZ FIREARMS story begins in 1936 in the town of Strakonice as a branch of the larger Ceska zbrojovka company. In 1937 Ceska zbrojovka began production on a range of military and civilian arms. The first products were aircraft machine guns, military pistols, and small-bore rifles. During World War II the plant produced and repaired military firearms. After 1945 the plant returned to producing an equal share of military and civilian arms like the CZ 52 pistol. In 1950 the company became a separate state enterprise that translates to “The Precision Machine Tooling Company" and was reorganized into a number of specialized divisions.